The future cavern complex for the relocated STSTW will be the largest of its type ever built in Hong Kong. It needs to be implemented in stages. Tentatively, the Project will be implemented in 5 stages, namely –
- site preparation and access tunnel construction (Stage 1 Works commenced in February 2019);
- main caverns construction (Stage 2 Works commenced in July 2021);
- sewage treatment facilities installation;
- modification and construction of upstream sewerage and pumping stations; and
- decommission and demolition of existing STSTW.